WHAT IS A BEHAVIOURAL QUESTION?
- A broad and open-ended question designed so you can discuss a time when you had a similar situation pop up and share how you handled it
- Feel free to use examples from previous work or your time at university and during extracurricular activities (e.g. volunteering, sport, music)
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR IN YOUR ANSWERS?
The STAR framework is a useful way to provide your answer
- Situation: What was the situation or problem being addressed?
- Target: What did you have to do or achieve?
- Action: What did you do?
- Result: What was the outcome? What did you achieve? What was the result for your stakeholders?
BEHAVIOURAL QUESTION TIPS
- To prepare, think about some situations from your past that you can talk through in a meaningful way
- Stop and think about your best answer before speaking it aloud
- We don’t need the ‘ideal’ answer, but rather the one that shows us more about you and how you approached a situation
- Keep your answers focused on what you did as an individual in the situation, rather than what the team did
- Share how your actions impacted the situation